"...enacted real tax reform that reduced the top tax rate to 28%. As a result, for a brief period of time, we were actually 72% free. This landmark achievement ushered in two decades of peace and prosperity."All true enough if you don't count the Cold War, the Iran-Iraq War, The Lebanon War, El Salvador, Northern Ireland, Burma, Arab-Israel Conflict, Somalia, Turkey and Kurdistan and all kinds of other peaceful events. A true scholar of history that one is.
In his brief tribute Johnson also "forgot" to mention (props to ThinkProgress)
1. Reagan was a serial tax raiser.
2. Reagan nearly tripled the federal budget deficit.
3. Unemployment soared after Reagan’s 1981 tax cuts.
4. Reagan grew the size of the federal government tremendously.
5. Reagan did little to fight a woman’s right to choose.
6. Reagan was a “bellicose peacenik.”
7. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million undocumented immigrants.
8. Reagan illegally funneled weapons to Iran.
9. Reagan vetoed a comprehensive anti-Apartheid act.
10. Reagan helped create the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden.
So Happy Birthday Mr. President. Your legacy doesn't need to be edited in order to remember you properly (even if it ultimately means there is no way you could be elected as a Republican today).